Tuesday, January 17, 2006

AJAX

Well, I did say that I would be posting "nerdy" stuff on my blog, so here goes.

I've recently started a new project at my work where I have full creative control over the Architecture and Design of the system. As it is going to be an Enterprise application, we've had to think about performance quite a bit. Enter AJAX.

Basically, AJAX improves performance of Web Applications by reducing the number of post-backs to the server on dynamic web forms. It does this by moving a lot of the work that is usually done on the server, to the client. Pretty nifty eh?

As I'm just getting started on this, I can't claim to be an expert, so here's a couple of links to AJAX Frameworks that I'm currently investigating. Oh yeah, I'm talking .NET here, so these links relate to AJAX in the .NET Framework.

Atlas: A control library that provides the AJAX functionality via .NET user controls. Seems to be quite extensive and powerful, but I'm not sure if it's at full release just yet.

AJAX.NET Professional: There is versions of this for the 1.1 and 2.0 .NET Frameworks. Uses a HTTPHandler module to direct the calls to the AJAX.NET libraries.

I'm sure I'll add to this list as time goes on.

Stay tuned!

3 Comments:

At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo mate, about time you have a blog. Trust me to make a comment on the nerdy post!

I used castle with their monorail implementation. Kicks ASPXs arse (thin GUI layer and all that) and it provides AJAX to boot.

www.castleproject.org

Save yourself!

El Seano.
P.S. Now I'm going to read all your last posts and write something more nonsensical to save face.

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nerd

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally catching up on your blog. I'm a year behind, but I'll get there.

Anyway, your wrong, but I'll forgive you ;-) AJAX doesn't reduce the requests to the server (aka post-backs), in fact it often increases them. But the content returned in each request is often less and is handled in a separate javascript thread on the client and then dynamically loaded into the existing page, so it doesn't require a page refresh and is thus gives a more interactive feel to a web site.

Sigh. I'm such a geek too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home