Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Damn, it's cold!!

Alright, so it's not that cold but it's cold enough...

This photo is of my backyard at my house in Stratford in East London, and was taken 2 days after Christmas. Sort of annoying because we were hoping for a White Christmas, but it came 2 days too late! Was still cool that it snowed in London though. It was the first time I had seen snow in my whole life, so it was quite exciting (even though it only lasted about 10 minutes...).

I've gotten used to the whole "London layers" thing. This means wrapping yourself in several layers of clothes to block out the cold. You don't just put on a jacket to go outside. It doesn't work.

You usually need to put on the following to go outside:
* Jumper
* Scarf
* Jacket
* Beanie

That usually doesn't do the trick either. If the wind is blowing, the wind chill is usually about -10 or below, so it blows straight through whatever jeans or trousers you're wearing. Frozen bollocks have become a problem, but there's NO WAY I'm resorting to wearing long-johns!

All that being said, it really isn't as bad as most people make out. Just about every person I've ever spoken to who's lived in London has a whinge about how cold it gets here. I just don't understand it. Sorry, but it's really not that cold...

March 10th sees my first trip to the snow. Going on the "Snow Train", which leaves London Friday night and takes you to the foot of the French Alps overnight, where you go skiing or boarding for the day, then hop back on the train to be back in London by Sunday morning. Should be a hoot! All I need to do now is learn how to Ski or Snowboard! :-)

2 Comments:

At 4:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with long johns...
Better than a short john! (shrinkos 101) Don't yo u wanna wear em cos they arent fashionably danos?

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with good snuggling weather ;). I should be going to NZ in August with Yuri on a skiing holiday & considering I have never seen snow it should be fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home